Fall Wreath

Summer is officially over and it is time to air out that fall decor. Not only do I love fall because of the cooler temperatures but also because of the rich reds, browns and gold colors that come with it. And what better way to incorporate these beautiful colors in your home than by making your own fall wreath, or in other words a little extra something to spruce up that boring front door. I was inspired by the following post to make this simple and yet elegant wreath, to which I added a burlap bow (tutorial included) to make things a bit more interesting. 

Overall, I’d say it was a fun and easy project that took me about 30 minutes to make. I liked my wreath so much I am already thinking about what kind of wreath I will be making for Christmas…and Valentine’s day…and Easter. Okay I’ll leave it at that. Let’s just say I may be hooked on wreath making. So enough of my babbling, get started and get crafting.

You will need the following items:

For the wreath:
floral wreath
Hydrangea faux flowers 
(same amount as number of holes in wreath)
wire cutters
drill (as needed)

For the bow:
burlap
glue gun
twistie tie
scissors
measuring tape


First step, as needed, you will use the drill make larger holes on the floral wreath so that the stem can go through.

Using the wire cutters you will cut the stems of the flowers so that you have about 3 inches remaining or enough length so that you can place the flower through the hole and have enough to twist the wire up and around the wreath. 


Once you have done that you will place the flowers through the holes and twist the wire so that the flower stays in place.  


\



Now you are ready to work on the bow. You will cut 3 strips of burlap (one of each) in the following lengths: 60 inches, 24 inches and 8 inches. 
Take the 60 inch strip and place it in the following manner. 


Then you will take the 24 inch piece, put your finger in the middle of the strip, take one end of the strip and fold it where your finger is and do the same with the other end of the strip so that it looks like so. You will then flip this piece and put it in the center of the 64 piece strip like so. 



 You will then gather the bow in the center and tie the pieces with a twistie tie so that it stays in place. 


Then grab the 8 inch piece, cut it down the center so that each piece is still 8 inches in length (you will really only need one of these) and use this and wrap it around the center of the bow covering the twistie tie and gathering. In the back of the bow you will use the hot glue gun to glue this piece into place. Voila! You've got a beautiful bow!


Lastly, cut a long piece of burlap (length is really up to you) and glue the ends together so that you make an endless circle. I glued this piece to the back of the wreath and the bow so that the bow was a bit suspended in the air. And since I also wanted to hide the wreath hanger I glued this burlap piece to the wreath hanger.


Thats it! That concludes my adventure in wreath making. Hope you enjoy!


Jen

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top