Tyler State Park camping

Summer has arrived and the time has come to take out the camping tent. This past weekend my family and I took a nice trip to Tyler State Park in Tyler, TX. I hadn't camped in more than 10 years and had a great time regardless of the heat. I have to say I enjoy and appreciate camping much more now then when I was a teenager. I used to think that walks were boring but now appreciate them much more. No distractions and pure nature, that's all I need on a camping trip. We were so busy during our stay that I didn't even have time to take out my book and read. But I don't mind because truth be told I probably wouldn't have had the energy after hiking and swimming and hiking again. In he end, I'd say that me and my family were overall impressed with our first stay at Tyler State Park. 

Our weekend camping trip began with checking in on Saturday morning, we arrived about 10 am and picked our site of preference, sites122-123. We loved these spots because they were close to the lake and a hiking trail. Also, our area was really shaded and we were of walking distance to the restrooms and showers in our area. 

We hiked several hiking trails including a loop around the park which was about 2 miles long that was relatively easy. It was flat and easy enough for the young (6 and 7 year old) girls in our group. The second trail was called Loop B and had a bit more terrain. Again it was not hard and the young kids were able to join us with no problems. Always remember to pack a daypack with flashlights and First Aid kits when hiking. We started a bit late and had we not had flashlights we would have been walking back to camp in the dark. Not safe! Also bring water and keep hydrated. Last thing you want during a hike in the Texas heat is passing out. 

We tried to keep it simple with our meals and prepared as much as we could beforehand. Our meals consisted of sandwiches for lunch, fajitas and veggies for dinner and pancakes, eggs and sausage for breakfast. On the morning of the trip I cracked about a dozen eggs in a jar so that I wouldn't have to worry about the mess later. And I also prepared the pancake mix beforehand so that I didn't have to pack bowls and mixing tools. For dinner, I also prepared foil packets with my choice of veggies and potatoes. Needless to say I probably won't be making potatoes again because they take too long to cook on a fire. On Sunday afternoon, we checked out and had lunch at a BBQ joint down the street from the park called Bodacious BBQ. It wasn't bad but I do have to say that their sandwiches were really packed with meat. It's hard to come by a fully packed brisket sandwich now a days. 

Well that was our trip and hope that it was enough to convince you to choose Tyler State Park for your next camping adventure. Until next time!

Jen




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top