Crocheting for Beginners

Hey guys...for those of you that do not know me I love crocheting. There is something soothing about having a hook and yarn in hand while listening to some Etta James in the background. I remember wanting to learn how to crochet after a family friend showcased her beautiful, handmade crochet blankets during a visit to her home. I searched YouTube and found plenty of videos, all of which were slightly different. I realized that everyone has a different style of crocheting which is okay. I also asked my mother who knew a thing or two about crocheting and was able to make some progress, no classes or books needed. My first project was a poorly made scarf, which to this day I still wear. After several years of crocheting I've given a try at blankets, scarves, purses and even baby booties. I hope that you are able to find a similar love in crocheting or any other craft that gets your creativity going. For my first tutorial I would like to show a beginner crochet stitch, the single stitch. 

First, you will need to gather a few supplies: scissors, yarn and appropriate crochet hook. If you look at the back of the yarn package it usually states what size hook is appropriate for that yarn. For example my hook is US G6 or 4.00mm. 

You will begin by creating a loop, pull your finger through the loop shown here and pull on the yarn so that it creates a loop as shown. At this point you will enter your hook as shown and pull taut. There are different ways of holding the yarn in your hand. The way that I hold it is as shown, pull yarn over pinky finger and around and then pull over index finger and over, hold hook and string in place with your thumb.



Now let the crocheting begin! Begin by placing the yarn behind the hook, looping the yarn over the hook and pulling the string through the loop as shown, this is your first "chain", repeat 10 times. 



Now that you've created your "foundation" you will create the second row of your project. 

Begin by inserting your hook as shown into the 2nd chain from the hook, meaning the chain below the place your hook is currently. You will then place your hook behind the yarn and pull the yarn through the loop, now place the yarn behind the hook, swing it in front of the yarn, also called "yarn over". Now pull the yarn through the 2 loops currently on the hook. 






Voila! You've made your first single crochet "SC". Now repeat this with the following chain to the left of the hook until you get to the end of the row. 


You've just learned how to single crochet! Yay! I hope you didn't pass out from confusion. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Stay tuned for more fun, random things to come. 

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/09/2017

    Pictures are not showing.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top